As a business owner, one of the most igneous tools available to you via your website is Google Analytics. If used right, Google Analytics can help you keep track of all that needs to be done on your website while helping you to increase your revenue and traffic.
Google Analytics offers an easy and free way to track and analyze visitors on your website. You could have thousands or even millions of visitors every month, but those visitors do not change a thing if you do not know anything about them. With its robust web analytics and reporting tools, Google Analytics can help you make the most out of wesbite visitors and potentially turn them into customers.
That is why you should use Google Analytics.
Then, the big question is how?
We will run through how you can use Google Analytics to advance your business goals:
Google Analytics Basics
If you want to get started and not get held back all of the complexities, here is a run-through of how to set up Google Analytics on your website:
- Sign in to Google Analytics with your Google account.
- Click the Admin button on the bottom left sidebar of your dashboard.
- Select an account or create an account.
- Click on the drop down menu to create a property.
- Click on Website and add your site’s name and URL.
- Choose your industry.
- Choose your time zone.
- Click on Get Tracking ID.Install Tracking ID on your website
Getting into the fray
Once you have set up your Google Analytics account, it is time to get your hands dirty and get the real work done.
Set your goal
As a business, your aim is to make money. It is that simple, your aim on Google analytics cannot be vain statistics like the number of visitors or comments on posts. You should be after conversion and this is where goals come in. To set your goals
- Log into google analytics.
- Click on admin.
- Click on goals, you can then create a new goal.
- There is a drop-down list and you can pick one of it.
- Name the goal and finish the details.
- Turn on the goal
Setting your goal will fuel you with the drive to get things done. If your goal is to convert more people, you have to create content geared in that direction, it is that simple.
Monitor the stats that moves the needle
With your goal set, you want to monitor all the stats that help you to generate revenue. You want to turn on your internal site tracker, this helps you to know what people are searching for on your website. You want to turn on your acquisition tab too; this allows you to know where people are coming from before ending up on your site. Are there more people from Google searches or social media? This shows you where to dissipate your energy and resources.
It is also very important that you set up your own dashboard where all of these stats can stay together in the same place allowing you to make sense of it. To create your dashboard:
- Click on customization from the home menu.
- Click on dashboards and create new.
- Name the dashboard and pick out the statistics that are important to you.
- There are numerous statistics that can be tracked, you just want to pick out the ones that matter.
You are not going to log into your Google Analytics every day, you would only check it a few times in a week. How do you know if something is happening? Luckily, Google already thought about that and that is why there is an automated interface where you can get alerts when things are happening. You can set up alerts for traffic spikes, this will inform you when there are a lot of visitors on your site or when your traffic drops. You can track a whole lot.
To create alerts and automate the process
- From the home page, click on customer alerts.
- Manage customers alert.
- You can then add in the alerts that you want
With Google Analytics, you can get so much done and the insights you get for your business is unparalleled.